Firefox is unsupported?

I was trying to access the MS Partner website… but with Firefox. They didn’t seem to like that very much 🙂


i really hate spam

There, i said it. And i’ll say it again. I hate spam.
Akismet is a real lifesaver, and along with SpamAssassin as well as Mozilla Thunderbird and i live in a state of “managed” spam. The odd irritation gets through, but nothing like before…
Between viruses, worms and spyware the computer desktop is enough of a nightmare and then you got to deal with spambots everywhere! Seriously… it’s outta hand.

It’s ridiculous to the point that you get initiatives which have to spend their time and effort combating something which nobody even wants?! methinks a good time to throw what time i have saved from spam filters and put it into Kill Spam 🙂

Everybody’s Guessing :)

Who’s gonna get it right? 🙂
We got takers spanning anywhere within 3 weeks and almost a 50/50 whether J is a girl or a boy.
This is sooo much more fun than getting the sex confirmed and booking a caesarian 😀

DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator Gotcha

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, but this was super unpleasant to uncover.

I’ve got a website up ‘n running and wanted to add a webservice to it, aight? Wizards make the job easy so here i go:

“Add > New item > Asp.Net > Web Service > Ok” Programming has never been so easy…
Navigate to webservice and … *poof!*

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Line 1333:
Line 1334:    OperationBinding FindHttpBinding(string verb) {
Line 1335:        foreach (ServiceDescription description in serviceDescriptions) {
Line 1336:            foreach (Binding binding in description.Bindings) {
Line 1337:                HttpBinding httpBinding = (HttpBinding)binding.Extensions.Find(typeof(HttpBinding));
[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
ASP.defaultwsdlhelpgenerator_aspx.FindHttpBinding(String verb) in

Dang wizards! Obviously badly generated code? Not so…
All the performance hints and profilers will tell you, if you don’t need to automatically wire up your events, set the AutoEventWireUp=false (no, i’m not going on a blatant tangent here) in your .config. What they don’t tell you is that the @Page directive influences the generation of Wdsl for your webservice. Obviously. :S;en-us;324151

And in the immortal words of John Lennon: “I’m not the only one” (who got duped).

MS, you’re gonna have to do better than that if you want to catch us out 😉

MATLAB R14sp3 On Ubuntu 7.04

A couple of things to be aware of if you’re doing this installation, which i discovered through trial and error 🙂

The machine id used for activation is based on the MAC address of eth0. On my machine, for example, my active interface is primarily the wireless card which is set as eth1. Hence, no machine id available for activation. How to fix?

bryan@noah:~$ cat /etc/iftab
# This file assigns persistent names to network interfaces.
# See iftab(5) for syntax.

eth1 mac 00:00:00:00:00:00 arp 1
eth0 mac 11:11:11:11:11:11 arp 1

where 00:00… and 11:11… represent your actual MAC addresses obtained by ifconfig.

My wireless card was eth1, so i simply switched this around so that my wireless is now eth0, rebooted and i now have a machine id with which to activate MATLAB.

Second issue was an error to the tune of: “version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file” when trying to use the Symbolic Toolkit, particularly. See the MathWorks Technical Solution for more information on this error. The steps they outline there didn’t work for me (it is for Red Hat afterall), but what did work was copying the (provided by MathWorks) into your matlab/glnx/bin directory. See discussion here (in German).

Success. Incidentally, i’m using MATLAB because my university wants me to use it, but otherwise if you need something equivalent in the OSS sphere, try Octave. 😉